A Filling Can Seamlessly Restore a Decayed Tooth
If you notice signs of a cavity on a permanent tooth, you are not alone. Although cavities are largely avoidable, they are also very common. The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research estimates that 92 percent of adults aged 20 to 64 have had a cavity on a permanent tooth.
Fortunately, a cavity can be quickly treated with a dental filling. Drs. Roy Greenberg and Laurence Stein offer white fillings, a more cosmetic alternative to traditional metal fillings, at their practice in Miami, FL. The team at Beautiful Smiles by Design carefully matches white fillings to the color of your surrounding teeth so that you can maintain a healthy and natural-looking smile for years to come.
Signs of a Cavity
While there are not always noticeable signs of a cavity in its earliest stages, patients most often report:
- Toothaches: Many patients experience a dull throbbing or sharp pain at the cavity site. This makes it difficult to eat without experiencing severe discomfort.
- Discoloration: In their early stages, cavities can cause brown or white stains on the surface of your teeth.
- Pits: In more advanced cases, cavities can cause erosion and holes on the surface of the tooth.
It is important to get cavities treated in their earliest stages when less invasive, less expensive treatment options are still available to you.
Receiving a Filling
In most cases, our team can diagnose and treat a cavity during the same appointment.
Drs. Greenberg and Stein use advanced tools such as intraoral cameras and digital x-rays to fully examine your smile from every angle and detect cavities. These screening tools also allow our team to determine the severity of your cavity and decide whether a filling is the appropriate or more involved treatments, such as dental crowns or implants, are necessary.
In most cases, Drs. Greenberg and Stein can deliver a lifelike, sturdy dental filling within a single, one-hour appointment.
Although every treatment is different depending on the condition of your smile, here is what you can generally expect:
- Color-Matching: One of our doctors will choose a shade of composite resin that carefully matches the color of your teeth. This material will be used to create your white filling.
- Numbing: To make your treatment as comfortable as possible, one of our dentists will numb the treatment area with a local anesthetic.
- Preparation: Using a drill, one of our doctors will carefully remove the decayed portion of the tooth.
- Filling: The doctor will then place the composite resin over the affected area, carefully molding the material to match the shape of your original tooth structure. He will then cure, or harden, the material with a special light.
Before sending you home, the doctor will check your bite to ensure that the new filling does not affect your alignment.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
At Beautiful Smiles by Design, we prefer white fillings over other options for a variety of reasons. In addition to their more natural-looking results, white fillings are also ready to use as soon as they are placed. This means you do not have to wait to eat solid foods after your appointment. White fillings also require less modification to surrounding teeth and are the more conservative treatment option. Lastly, white fillings eliminate the need for amalgam, which contains mercury.
Get Treatment Today
In most cases, Drs. Greenberg and Stein can deliver a lifelike, sturdy dental filling within a single, one-hour appointment. Because dental fillings are one of the simplest, least invasive treatment options available, there is no reason to delay getting treatment. Call Beautiful Smiles by Design today at (305) 595-1556 or request a consultation online to learn more.
“I love this dental office...the staff is so friendly and professional. They make a dental visit stress & pain free. So happy with the quality of the service here.” Elle B.